Monday, March 13, 2006

Crooked Teeth

I feel like I have been using quotes as a crutch for filler the last couple of posts, but oh well. I like to read and I like to listen to music, so it makes sense for me to be ruminating on one or the other. My husband got me Death Cab for Cutie's Plans for Christmas, so I have been listening to the CD off and on for the last 2 months. I just got fixated on their song "Crooked Teeth" the other day, however. I love how Ben Gibbard can take something as poignant as a dead-end relationship, keep the poignancy, but make it light-hearted at the same time. I know I can relate at least a couple of past relationships to these lines:

It was one hundred degrees, as we sat beneath a willow tree,
Whose tears didn't care, they just hung in the air, and refused to fall, to fall.

And I knew I'd made horrible call,
And now the state line felt like the Berlin wall,
And there was no doubt about which side I was on.

Cause I built you a home in my heart,
With rotten wood, it decayed from the start.

Cause you can't find nothing at all,
If there was nothing there all along.
No you can't find nothing at all,
If there was nothing there all along.

For me it was that "oh no, what have I gotten myself into and how can I extricate myself" sinking of the gut. And no matter what, I always felt like a jerk.

No comments: